Pumpkin home remedy for Pancreatitis treatment in dog

Petzpedia Pancreatitis treatment in dog using pumpkin
Photo by Karolina Grabowska .pexels.com

As dog parents, we look for the best treatments for our dog’s illnesses. In addition to medical management, many of us will research treatment strategies that emphasize improving their nutrition by include particular foods in their diet.

Due to its fiber and nutritional value, pumpkins may be a possibility for pancreatitis, a prevalent health issue in dogs. Low in fat and difficult to digest, pumpkin is a nutrient-rich food. Can it actually assist dogs who have pancreatitis though? There is presently no scientific proof proving that pumpkin’s nutritional profile has health benefits, which may aid dogs with pancreatitis.

Continue reading to learn how pumpkin can potentially help dogs with pancreatitis as well as how to include pumpkin in your dog’s diet whether or not they have the condition.

What exactly is pancreatitis?

An organ in a dog’s abdomen, next to the stomach, is the pancreas. Important digestive aids such as enzymes and hormones like insulin are produced by the pancreas.

The release of these digestive enzymes is hampered by pancreatic inflammation, which can result in discomfort, nausea, vomiting, and other problems.

The majority of cases of pancreatitis are thought to be idiopathic, meaning they lack a clear-cut etiology. However, eating a high-fat diet and being overweight are thought to be risk factors. Breeds with a history of pancreatitis, including the Miniature Schnauzer and the English Cocker Spaniel, are at a higher risk.

Pancreatitis symptoms

Keep an eye out for the following symptoms if you think your dog may be experiencing pancreatitis:

  • weakness and fatigue
  • hunched back due to stomach ache
  • Vomiting
  • Dehydration
  • Having no appetite
  • Fever

In more serious situations, collapsing or shocked

Pancreatitis can be chronic and long-lasting, causing grumbling along with potential moments of flare-ups and a more pronounced sickness, or it can be abrupt and rapid with extremely noticeable symptoms.

How Can Dogs with Pancreatitis Benefit from Pumpkin?

Given their abundance in fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that are good for both humans and dogs, pumpkin is a healthy diet option for dogs. Since pancreatitis affects the digestive system, a healthy diet and nutrition are crucial for recovery. As advised by your veterinarian, your dog should always be on a comprehensive, balanced diet. Due to its low fat content and ease of digestion, pumpkin may be a useful supplement or treat choice because it won’t place as much strain on the pancreas during digestion.

Pumpkins are 94% water, while the remaining 6% of meat is nutrient-rich. Pumpkins are consequently low in calories and fat and may also help your dog stay hydrated. Even though pumpkin has little calories, the amount of nutrients your dog can get from it will benefit their general health. Vitamins A, C, and E are abundant, which can strengthen their immune system.

It’s vital to remember that not all canines are created equal. Always check with your veterinarian before adding pumpkin to your dog’s food, especially if your dog suffers from a medical ailment like pancreatitis.

Should I select fresh or canned pumpkin?

Knowing that pumpkin can be good for your dog now requires you to choose which kind of pumpkin is ideal. Compared to fresh pumpkin, which has a higher water content, canned pumpkin often provides more nutrients and fiber per serving. Managing the volume per serving is also made significantly simpler by the consistency of canned pumpkin.

It’s crucial to consider the additional additives, such as sugar, salt, or other flavorings and preservatives, when feeding canned pumpkin. Some substances, like the common seasonings nutmeg and cinnamon found in canned pumpkin, can be harmful to your dog. It is preferable to stick with pumpkin puree without any other ingredients when using canned pumpkin.

As long as the pumpkin is cooked through, it can be served. Don’t forget to take the seeds out as well!

While OK in moderation, it’s best to stay away from raw pumpkin.

How much pumpkin should I feed?

When feeding pumpkin to your dog, the standard recommendation is 1-2 tablespoons for large dogs and 1-2 teaspoons for medium or tiny dogs per meal.

One teaspoon of pumpkin can be given to your dog for every 10 pounds of body weight, to be more accurate. Half a teaspoon once a day should be plenty for younger or smaller dogs to provide them with the nutrients they require.

Once more, not every dog is the same. Before adding pumpkin to your dog’s diet, it’s essential to speak with your veterinarian to avoid any more issues. Start with a little amount before increasing it, and pay close attention to how your dog reacts to the fruit. Remember that a comprehensive, balanced meal should make up 90% of your dog’s diet, with treats and extras like pumpkin making up the remaining 10%.

Is it Possible to Overfeed My Dog Pumpkin?

Additionally, too much pumpkin in your dog’s food can cause intestinal issues. Although pumpkin is rich in nutrients, too much fiber in your dog’s diet might prevent the digestion of nutrients and prevent them from being absorbed. This may lead to dietary deficiencies, diarrhea, or possibly make the pancreatitis worse.

Pancreatitis treatment

The main strategy for treating pancreatitis is supportive care. The focus of the medical care would be on treating your dog’s discomfort, dehydration, and other symptoms, such vomiting. The course of treatment recommended by your veterinarian will depend on how severe the pancreatitis is in your dog.

  • treatment using intravenous fluids
  • antiemetic drugs to treat nausea and vomiting
  • treatment of pain
  • medicine for nausea
  • stomach-protecting drugs
  • Other actions that your vet considers essential

Avoid trying to self-medicate without consulting a veterinarian when dealing with pancreatitis. While introducing pumpkins to your dog’s diet may be beneficial, you must first consult with and get approval from your doctor.

How else can I proceed?

When your dog is recovering from pancreatitis, the majority of vets advise feeding him a highly digestible, low-fat dog food along with lots of fluids. This aids in healing and lessens pancreatic stress while giving your dog all the nutrition they require. Your veterinarian might advise feeding this kind of food on a regular basis if your dog experiences recurrent episodes of pancreatitis. Your veterinarian can assist you in selecting the ideal prescription food for your dog from among the many options that have been developed. Other low-fat, easily digestible foods that might be appropriate for your dog’s diet or to provide as treats include:

  • Turkey 
  • Chicken. 
  • egg white that has been cooked
  • white rice
  • boiled veggies


Although pumpkin is well-liked during the Halloween and Thanksgiving holidays, it is also a nutritious fruit that is high in fiber! Although they are healthy and can help some dogs who are recuperating from pancreatitis, there is currently no proof to support this claim due to a lack of studies.

Pumpkins’ nutritional profile suggests that they may provide various advantages for your dog. However, it is best to speak with your doctor first before include this delightful fruit in your dog’s diet if they are suffering from pancreatitis.